Monday 23 March 2009

Intel Wireless Software "Device Ownership"

I was recently setting up a wireless connection on a laptop after blatting it and reinstalling the OS. I was asked to install the Intel Wireless Utility to use that for managing the wireless connections, if I had it my way I would of just used the Windows configuration utility, far simpler and uses less resources.
So after installing the Intel software, I tried connecting the laptop to the designated wireless network. However rather than being asked for a network key, it asked me for a 'Device Ownership Password'. It seems Intel are trying to make things more secure for you and your network but if you ask me this is just a major annoyance. To get round this you need to go into Control Panel, then Add/Remove Programs (Programs & Features in Windows Vista). Find the 'Intel PROSet Wireless' software and click 'Change' and then when the window opens, 'Modify'. Remove 'Intel WiFi Protected Setup' from the list of installed components and click 'Next'.
After this the problem should have gone away, might be worth restarting the computer to ensure the changes have come into effect.

19 comments:

  1. Thank you ever so much for solving this for me, I was about to throw my laptop out of the window..

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah thank you! so happy it works again =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this ...spend an hour trying to figure out what PIN they were looking for until I found your advice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are fooking legend

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. A million thank-yous!!! What a frustrating clusterfck... I have an EnGenius Router which has no Device Ownership Password, so I was screwed before this blog. Apox on Intel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG THANK YOU
    ive been trying to fix this for months, ive even been trying to guess the passcode. i was going to give up before i found your blog, THANK YOU AGAIN

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alternative: Add new profile with correct SSID, Security and password. Then connect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can also just open the Pro-wireless, advanced settings, scroll down to wifi settings and untick ask for device password.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This solution worked as a charm. Thank you for posting. I suppose I could have used the Pro-wireless settings panel, but I did not read the comments. Oh well, it worked. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. THANK YOU! I've been trying to figure this one out for days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I add my thanks! My wife was online, lost wifi connection, and we all went nuts trying to find the requested device ownership password. Two weeks lost-- two minutes following your instructions and we were back online!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a stupid stupid phrase for Intel to use. Troubleshooting this over a phone was such a waste when you expect it to ask for wep key or network access pin. *kicks Intel*

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a life saver. I too was having issues with this network password that only allowed numerics. thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was driving me crazy until I found your solution here. Thank you this help!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cheers, was having to Ethernet my work laptop everytime this has resolved my wifi issue :-) #HAPPYTIMES

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks ... saved plenty of time troubleshooting

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks! it is sad how people mention this issue on the intel forums and they do not respond.. A million thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much. I was losing my mind. I felt strange typing "What the F$!K is a device ownership password" but your page came up and gave me the answer. So thank you!!

    ReplyDelete